[807 E. Murchison]

One of 667 photographs in the series: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine available on this site.

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of a house located at 807 E. Murchison in Palestine, Texas. It has a pedimented portico on the façade which is suggestive of the Greek Revival style.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Creation Information

Hardy, Heck, Moore June 1991.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 43 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Titles

Description

Photograph of the front and west side of a house located at 807 E. Murchison in Palestine, Texas. It has a pedimented portico on the façade which is suggestive of the Greek Revival style.

Physical Description

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Notes

Photograph of 807 E. Murchison taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. This property is one of the most unusual domestic buildings in Palestine. Changes compromise somewhat the property’s overall historic character; nonetheless, the house retains sufficient integrity to be locally significant. The pedimented portico on the façade is strongly suggestive of the Greek Revival style, few examples of which survive in the city. The earliest portions of this house were built in 1852 by the local Presbyterian church for use by Rev. Byers and his wife as a school (and is thus believed by local historians to be the oldest remaining school building in the city). In 1860 John G. Scott and his new bride Josie Tully purchased the building for use as a private residence. After the Civil War, Scott was appointed District Judge by scalawag governor E.J. Davis. Scott died while awaiting trial after being impeached by the Texas Legislature in 1873. His wife continued to live in the house and soon married their former lodger, Major J.T. Farr. Later occupants included R.J. and Roberta (Bob) Miller, who lived here as early as 1926. Miller, the owner of Miller Trans. Company, died in the mid-1930s, but his wife continued to live here until about 1938. By 1941, the house was occupied by Mack A. and Katherine Powell. Mr. Powell was a salesman for the American Home Bakery, today known as Eilenberger’s Bakery.

Taken from: Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas: An Inventory for The City of Palestine, Volume IV, Color Slides, June 1991

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History is a project that aims to digitize at-risk photographs, maps, artwork, and more. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • June 1991

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • March 9, 2006, 12:56 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 26, 2014, 8:30 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 43

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.766824, -95.624496

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Hardy, Heck, Moore. [807 E. Murchison], photograph, June 1991; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10107/: accessed September 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.