The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 20, July 1916 - April, 1917 Page: 268
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly
of her worthy citizens.4 Although the monument is located a
number of miles from any railroad or any town of consequence,
yet it marks the scenes that he loved; and in the years to come,
as our great State develops and increases in population, many of
her sons and daughters will pass by this spot to learn something
of the life and deeds of the man who served his State well in his
day. Parts of the old plantation are now almost a primeval forest,
and the stately pines raise their heads high towards the blue of
the heavens to keep watch over his last resting place. No doubt
his spirit prefers to remain here amid the scenes that were dear
to him while living, and where Nature still delights to woo, with
lavish profusion of trees and grass and lowers, and limpid, spark-
ling streams, the lovers who would seek her most delightful re-
treats. May his ashes rest in peace, while the imperial empire
which he fought for and served marches on to a grandeur yet un-
seen in the vision of her patriots and poets.
'Wood county was created February 5, 1850, and named in honor of
George T. Wood.-EDITORS.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 20, July 1916 - April, 1917, periodical, 1917; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101070/m1/274/: accessed August 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.