The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 21, July 1917 - April, 1918 Page: 299
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin 299
MINUTES OF THE AYUNTAMIENTO OF SAN FELIPE
DE AUSTIN, 1828-18321
EDITED BY EUGENE C. BARKER
Town of Austin, capital of the jurisdiction of that name, in the
department of Bexar, State of Coahuila and Texas, February 10,
1828. Citizen Step-hen F. Austin, appointed on November 17
by the superior order of the Molst Excellent Governor of the State
to hold the first municipal electoral assembly of the said jurisdic-
tion-which order was circulated by the chief of the department
on December 11 last-met with John P. Coles, James Cummine,
Thomas M. Duke, Alexander Hodge, and Humphrey Jackson al-
caldes; Alexander Oalvit, Green B. Jamieson, Philo Fairchild,
Thomas Barnett, Moses Morrison, William Kincheloe, Rawson
Alley, John Elam, and Clement C. Dyer tellers; Lawrence Richard
Kenney, John D. Tay[lor], John Andrews, Shubael Marsh, and
John R. Foster secretaries. The lists of the electoral assemblies
of the respective districts of the jurisdiction were opened, in con-
formity with the 3d article of the above superior order and in
fulfillment of the 100th article of the Regulation for the Admin-
istration of Towns,2 and the three general lists which said article
'The minutes of the ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin from its in-
stallation on February 12, 1828, to January 3, 1832, !are in the Spanish
department of the General Land Office at Austin, in three thin manuscript
volumes. They were turned over to Ezra Cleveland, clerk of the district
court at Bellville, by the county clerk in 1849, and by him transferred to
the Land Office on April 30, 1852, under authority of a legislative act of
February 9, 1852, for depositing land records in the Land Office. Volume
1 contains the minutes from February 10, 1828, to June 4, 1830, Volume
2 from .July 5, 1830, to January 1, 1831, and Volume 3 from January 17,
1831, to January 3, 1832. Volume 1 contains 63 single sheets or leaves,
written on both sides. With the exception of sheets 6, 7, half of 8, and 11
the first 41 sheets are in Spanish and are translated by the editor. There-
after to the end of the third volume the record is bi-lingual with the Span-
ish on the left-hand page and the English on the right. In a few cases,
indicated in the notes, it has been possible to replace a missing page of
English by translation of the Spanish. Thanks are due Hon. James T.
Robison, Commissioner of the General Land Office, for permission to pub-
lish these records. An account of the government of Austin's Colony before
the organization of the ayuntamiento appears in this issue of THE QUAR-
TERLY, pages 2.23-252.
2This decree (No,. 37) is omitted from the official publication of the Laws
of Coahuila and Texas, but there is a Spanish copy in the Austin Papers at
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 21, July 1917 - April, 1918, periodical, 1918; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101073/m1/305/?rotate=270: accessed April 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.