The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 23, July 1919 - April, 1920 Page: 61
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas in 1820
II. INSTRUCTIONS WHICH THE CONSTITUTIONAL AYUNTAMIENTO
OF THE CITY OF SAN FERNANDO DE BEXAR DRAWS UP IN ORDER
THAT ITS PROVINCIAL DEPUTY MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE
SUCH REPRESENTATIONS, TAKE SUCH STEPS, AND
PRESENT SUCH PETITIONS AS MAY BE CONDUCIVE
TO THE HAPPINESS, DEVELOPMENT, AND
PROSPERITY OF ITS INHABITANTS2
The length of this province, from north to south, is about 300
leagues of known country from [the mouth of the] Nueces River
to the -- in the Province of New Mexico. From east to
west, it is about 200 leagues from the Medina to the known limits
of the Province of Nueva Viscaya at its union with the United
States. In this region are seen the finest and most copious
springs, rivers, lakes, and lagoons, which water it and furnish life
to a great number of wild but very useful products-to numerous
herds of animals, cattle, buffalo, and other kinds of wild creatures,
which furnish the greatest aid to subsistence, to a large number of
wild horses, to countless animals of the chase, and to fish, woods,
and other valuable products which promise the benefits of the best
mineral ores ever seen. There are 3000 persons in the province.
The settlements which the province contains in this spacious
and extensive region are only the city of San Fernando de Bexar,
its capital-to which are added the presidial company of Bexar,
the flying squadron of San Carlos de Parras, and the four mis-
sions-almost abandoned, since in three of them are no more
than fifteen Spanish families, and none in the other; the presidio
of Bahia del Espiritu Santo near which also there are two Indian
missions, almost abandoned, since the Indians live in them only
during the seasons which suit them-these are all located upon the
San Antonio river within the short distance of fifty or sixty
leagues to the southeast; and, finally, the advanced and deserted
pueblo of Nacogdoches on the frontier of the United States toward
the east. This is distant from the other settlements 180 leagues.
The remainder of this extensive, immense, and spacious region
composing the entire province is occupied by the different tribes
of barbarous Indians, who, at all times, have been masters of the
possessions and lives of the unfortunate inhabitants-but never
with such tenacity and frequency as since the year 1813, at which
'From the Bexar Archives, University of Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 23, July 1919 - April, 1920, periodical, 1919; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101075/m1/67/: accessed August 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.