The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 26, July 1922 - April, 1923 Page: 37
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
History of West and Northwest Texas Since 1845 37
little frontier fort at Belknap, several months later. The party
caught great messes of catfish out of an unnamed creek near the
foot of the plains, and thereupon Captain Marcy named it Cat-
fish creek. Other instances of the same character are mentioned.
But he was on the lookout for suitable locations for the Indian
reservations he was sent out to find, and finding none to suit him
better, he had surveys made in the vicinity of where the Indians
were already settled on the Brazos, and on the Clear Fork of the
Brazos for a branch of the Comanches.
The act of the Legislature providing for these reservations
called for them to be located within twenty miles of the chain
of forts maintained by the United States government. Captain
Marcy, in conjunction with Major Neighbors, the Indian agent,
had met and conferred with the Indians, and had secured their
consent to occupy the reservations thus made for them.
But Captain Marcy, in reporting his previous pathfinding ex-
pedition, had given the route then laid out by him his unqualified
endorsement as affording the very best route for the construction
of a railroad to the Pacific coast, following which and its further
survey westward the Gadsden Purchase had been made to secure
from Mexico needed land over which to construct such a rail-
road; and, therefore, in 1854, when Captain Marcy was locating
the Indian reservations, the construction of railroads through
West and Northwest Texas was in the air, and the Legislature
in providing for the Indian reservations retained a three hundred-
foot right-of-way through them for the construction of a railroad,
if so surveyed, charters for which had already been granted by
The Texas & Pacific Railway was subsequently built through
that region, but some thirty miles to the south of the Indian
From 1849 onward interesting facts are laid up in the official
reports of the government, bearing on Indian warfare in the por-
tion of Texas in question; on explorations for finding roads for
military and migration purposes, it being essential to locate along
the road sites grass and water- at convenient camping places,
preferably twelve to twenty miles apart for the use of the numer-
ous wagon trains passing through the country. Where surface
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 26, July 1922 - April, 1923, periodical, 1923; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101084/m1/43/: accessed May 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.