The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 27, July 1923 - April, 1924 Page: 189
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Location of La Salle's Colony On Gulf of Mexico 189
name of Nuestra Sefiora de Loreto. Across the river was estab-
lished the mission of Espiritu Santo. Four years later the fort
and mission were moved northwest to Mission Valley, near the
present Victoria, and in 1749 were transferred to the San Antonio
river, to become the nucleus of the present city of Goliad. Thus,
the relics on the banks of the Garcitas mark the site of both
La Salle's colony and the Spanish presidio of Loreto. The walls
still visible are probably the remains of the Spanish rather than
the French fortification.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
as is also that in which they burned the powder; and on opening the
trenches for the fortification there were found nails, pieces of musket-
locks, and fragments of other things which the French use." Juan Antonio
de la Pefia, Derrotero de la empedoid6n en la provincial de los Texas (Mexico,
1722), f. 27.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 27, July 1923 - April, 1924, periodical, 1924; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101086/m1/195/: accessed February 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.