The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 28, July 1924 - April, 1925 Page: 69
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Expedition of Pdnfilo de Narvaez
tell them where they had landed, and as the beginning was
wrong, so was the middle, and the end we have known already.
I can not admit the name given by Cabeza de Vaca in his own
book to that island which he calls Mal-Hado, because that name
does not appear in the first relation and can not now be applied.
Besides, the Christians were well treated on that island, as he
himself admits in the other relation, and if the sea, or destiny,
did there deprive them of their boats, the others had no better
Both relations say that the friars ordered the bodies found in
some Castillian boxes to be burnt, saying that they were objects
of idolatry. They ought to have buried them, as the boxes and
other details showed that these were Christian corpses; and in
the second relation it is said that the Indians told them that
those corpses were Christians.3
Cabeza de Vaca says that on the 17th of June, 1527, Governor
Painfilo de Narvaez started with his fleet from San Lucar de Bar-
rameda to go to settle the northern coast of the continent in the
provinces situated from the Rio de las Palmas to Cape Florida,
with five ships carrying, more or less, six hundred men. There
went, as His Majesty's officers the following: Alvar Nuficz
Cabeza de Vaca as Treasurer and High Constable [Alguacil
Mayor]; Alonso Enriques as Purser; Alonso de Solis as In-
spector, Fray Juan Gutierrez of the order of St. Francis as Com-
missary, and four other friars of the same order. In forty-five
days they arrived at the island of Espafiola, where they took
horses and other things, and a hundred and forty persons left
them. These were lucky indeed, because in a storm they en-
countered later on the isle of Cuba, in the harbor of the town
of Trinidad, they lost two ships with sixty men and twenty
horses. The remainder of the expedition wintered in that island
and on the fourth of November of the same year the Governor
arrived with the four ships he had taken to Santiago, which is the
principal town in that island, and ordered all of them to go
twelve leagues forward to the harbor of Xagua, from which he
left later on with four ships and a, brigantine carrying four hun-
dred men and eighty horses, of which thirty-eight were lost on
3Bandelier, p. 12.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 28, July 1924 - April, 1925, periodical, 1925; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101087/m1/73/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.