The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 31, July 1927 - April, 1928 Page: 30
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
30 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
elected March 2, 1906, and served until he resigned as President
of the University of Texas and removed from the state. Judge
A. W. Terrell was elected March 2, 1908, and was successively re-
elected until his death, September 8, 1912. Judge Z. T. Fulmore
was elected March 3, 1913, and held the office until March 2, 1915,
when Mrs. Adele B. Looscan was elected President. Mrs. Looscan
was elected without opposition as long as she would accept the
office, and on May 8, 1925, the present incumbent succeeded her.
This office has been, to a certain extent, honorary; the real labor
has fallen on the editors and the corresponding secretary and
treasurer. Dr. George P. Garrison served as editor of THE QUAn-
TEnLY from 1897 until his death, July 3, 1910. By an amend-
ment to the constitution at the June meeting, 1897, of the Execu-
tive Council, the Professor of History in the University of Texas
was made ex-officio librarian and recording secretary, and changed
the title of the secretary and treasurer, as originally fixed, to cor-
responding secretary and treasurer. The recording secretary and
librarian, as Professor of History in the University of Texas, has
been editor. Dr. Garrison was sole editor until the twelfth volume
of TIE QUARTERLY, 1908, when Professors Herbert Eugene Bolton
and Eugene C. Barker appear as associate editors, and continue as
such until the death of Dr. Garrison. Then Dr. Eugene C. Barker
was elected by the Association corresponding secretary and libra-
rian, and became editor of THE QUARTERLY with Professors E. W.
Winkler and Charles W. Ramsdell, associate editors, first appearing
in Volume XIV published in 1911. This official position con-
tinued until the fifteenth volume, when Eugene C. Barker and
I-Herbert E. Bolton became editors, and E. W. Winkler, Charles W.
Ramsdell and Edgar L. Hewitt became associate editors, with
Eugene C. Barker managing editor. There was no change in the
editorial staff until Volume XXVII of THE QUARTERLY, when
Charles W. Hackett succeeded Edgar L. Hewitt as one of the
There has been no financial remuneration for this service. It
has been both a responsibility and a serious draft on the time of
busy men. They are entitled to a large share of the credit for
the success of THE QUARTERLY, and deserve gratitude from all
lovers of Texas history. Their labor, however, was devoted to the
supervision of the subject matter of the magazine. The business
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 31, July 1927 - April, 1928, periodical, 1928; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101088/m1/36/: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.