The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929 Page: 42
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
42 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
is all told more in detail further over in this chapter.) The total
acreage is three hundred ninety-seven thousand eight hundred
acres, or in other words, approximately six hundred and twenty-
two sections.1 This is subdivided into about forty-eight pastures,
varying in kinds and sizes. Ten contain from thirteen thousand
to sixty-eight thousand acres; three pastures have from seven thou-
sand to ten thousand acres; two shipping pastures contain two
thousand acres each; the rest of the land is cut up into small horse
pastures and pastures for various purposes around the different
camps. There are about fifteen pastures in the J J Ranch (pas-
tures for pure-bred Hereford cattle). Besides these there are a
number of feeding pastures, ranging from one thousand two hun-
dred eighty to five thousand acres. Or to put it another way,
there are over four hundred miles of fence on the J A Ranch.2
The ranch is well watered. Red River and its tributaries form
a perfect network covering most of what is known as the "low
lands," that is, the land below the Cap Rock. Scattered over the
ranch there are hundreds of lakes of various sizes which have water
in them a part of the year and a goodly number of them hold water
throughout the year. Additional water is supplied by many fresh
water springs found in various canyons of the ranch; nearly all of
these springs furnish water the year around, and from thirteen of
them water is piped into drinking tubs or ground tanks. The
sources of other water supplies are fifty-eight wells, fifty-six of
which have the water pumped by windmills, and thirty-four large
artificial ground tanks which catch and hold water from one rainy
season to another.8
The ranch has twelve winter camps, namely: Timber Lake,
Pleasant Camp, Dinner Creek, Cherokee, Hackberry, Davis Place,
Sandy, Plains Corral, Campbell Creek, Woodburn Place, Graham
Place and the Heckman Place. The camps are well located and
well built. A family lives in each of them throughout the year.
There are five farms on the J A Ranch. The Southern, Bagwell
Place, Tule, Charlie Johnson place and Bill Wiley place. The
renters on these places raise principally feedstuff which is con-
tracted for by the J A Ranch for so much per bundle before it is
1Data from ledgers at J A Headquarters.
'Data furnished by Clinton Henry, bookkeeper at the J A Ranch.
"Data furnished by Clinton Henry, bookkeeper at the J A Ranch.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929, periodical, 1929; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101089/m1/46/: accessed June 21, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.