The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929 Page: 43
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A History of the J A Ranch
planted. In the last few years a small amount of cotton has been
planted on some of these farms. Each one of the camps and each
one of the farms have a telephone which is connected with head-
quarters. Also all the buildings at headquarters have a telephone
in them. There are over a hundred and forty miles of wire in the
J A telephone system.
The headquarters, ideally located in Armstrong County just at
the foot of the Cap Rock, is surrounded on the south and west by a
series of irregular hills which make up the edge of the Cap Rock.
To the north and east it overlooks a beautiful flat. The head-
quarters is composed of the following buildings: the Big House,
the bunk house, the Headquarters office, the bookkeeper's house, the
wagon boss' house, the Delco light house, the garage, the black-
smith shop and the wagon yard. The Big House is the old Adair
home. It is a beautiful two-story structure of nineteen rooms,
four of which are the old log house built by Colonel Goodnight
of cedar logs cut in the canyon when he first established the head-
quarters at this place in 1879. It is furnished with the choice
furniture, some of which was brought over from England. A
description of each one of these nineteen rooms would be too long;
hence only one room, the main living room, will be described. On
the walls of this room are many paintings of ranch scenes. There
are also, a mounted deer head, a mounted buffalo head and a
mounted lobo wolf head. On a shelf extending entirely around
the wall of this room is a large collection of mastodon bones and
rocks found four miles south of headquarters. On the south side
of the room is a very large book case filled with costly books, most
of which were printed by English publishers. The floor has a
number of fine rugs on it, two of which are made of lobo hides.
The Big House has all the modern conveniences of the city, electric
lights and electric fans, hot and cold water in all of the three bath-
rooms, has a hot water heating system besides eight fireplaces. Mr.
and Mrs. Hobart live in the Big House when they are at the ranch
and it is so quiet and comfortable that they like to spend as much
of their time there as possible. Mr. and Mrs. Kent have a home
in Clarendon, but Mr. Kent spends a lot of his time at the ranch
and he has rooms in the Big House when he is there.
The bunk house consists of several rooms, the largest being the
sleeping quarters for the cowboys. It has eight single beds in it
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929, periodical, 1929; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101089/m1/47/: accessed August 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.