The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929 Page: 45
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A History of the J A Ranch
Ranch. Mr. Hobart, manager of the ranch since 1915, is a native
of Vermont. Educated to be a civil engineer and surveyor, he
came to the Panhandle of Texas as a young man in 1886 as sur-
veyor and representative for the New York and Texas Land Com-
pany. Working in this capacity, he surveyed land for them in
various parts of southern and central Texas as well as in the
Panhandle. In 1903 he left the employment of the New York
and Texas Land Company and became the representative for the
White Deer Land Company located at Pampa, Texas. He acted
as manager of this land company until 1915 when he became
manager of the J A Ranch. In 1915, Mrs. Adair invited Mr.
Hobart to a gathering of old-timers at the J A Ranch. At this
time, Mr. Hobart had never met Mrs. Adair. Much to his sur-
prise, Mrs. Adair told him that she wanted him to take the active
management of the ranch. This he did and is manager of the
ranch today. Realizing the worth and integrity of this man, Mrs.
Adair made him one of the two executors of her will without bond.
The other executor of Mrs. Adair's will, without bond, is Mr.
Henry C. Coke, of Dallas. Mr. Coke came to Waco in 1881 to
visit his uncle, the late Senator Coke of Texas. He had just
graduated in law and was looking for a place to open up a law
office. His uncle suggested that he go to Dallas and open up a
law office and he did so. A few years later, his younger brother
came to Dallas, and the two brothers opened up a well known
corporation law firm of Coke & Coke. Mr. Henry C. Coke's two
sons, Rosser and Richard, are also associated with this firm today.
Some thirty-five years ago Mrs. Adair employed Mr. Coke as her
Texas attorney to look after her legal business. He has continued
in this capacity ever since. The employee who holds the distinc-
tion of having worked longer for the J A Ranch than any other
man who has been connected with it is J. W. Kent, Superintendent
of the J A's since 1914. Mr. Kent, a native of Texas, came to
the J A Ranch in March, 1883, when he was just a lad. He
began working on the ranch at that .time and is working for the
ranch today. He began at the bottom and has held, at some time
or other during these forty-four years, every position on the J A
Ranch and also on the J J, Tule and F Ranches.
It is customary every two years to tally the herd; tallying is
nothing more than taking an official inventory of the cattle. Some
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929, periodical, 1929; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101089/m1/49/: accessed April 30, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.