The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929 Page: 1
VOL. XXXII JULY, 1928 No. 1
The publication committee and the editors disclaim responsibility for views expressed by
contributors to THE QUARTERLY
MINOR EMPRESARIO CONTRACTS FOR THE COLONIZA-
TION OF TEXAS, 1825-1834
MARY VIRGINIA HENDERSON
IV. THE MILAM COLONY
Joining Robertson's colony on the south and lying between the
Colorado and Guadalupe rivers was Milam's colony. To the east
of this long, narrow stretch of territory which formed the Milam
grant was Stephen F. Austin's colony. Benjamin R. Milam had
petitioned the Mexican government for the right to colonize Texas
lands even before Austin made his first journey to Mexico.'
As early as 1818 Milam was in Texas trading with the Co-
manches on the headwaters of the Colorado. The following year
found him in Mexico fighting for the patriot cause. In considera-
tion of his services to the Republican cause, the government made
him an eleven league grant. He selected his land and opened a
ranch, as he thought in East Texas; but he found that he had
gone too far to the east and had located in Miller County,
Arkansas.2 Later he located his eleven league grant farther west.
Not until January 12, 1826, did Milam obtain the grant to
establish the colony which bears his name. The contract called for
the introduction of three hundred families within the following
Beginning at the point where the Upper San Antonio road
leading from Bexar to Natchitoches crosses the river Guadalupe;
'Barker, The Life of Stephen F. Austin, 52.
2Thrall, A Pictorial History of Texas, 166-167.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929, periodical, 1929; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101089/m1/5/ocr/: accessed March 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.