The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929 Page: 61
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A History of the J A Ranch
to the persons and institutions enumerated in the will, but it espe-
cially states that it is not to be sold until "The Executors think
they are getting a satisfactory price for it." Mr. Coke and Mr.
Hobart have faithfully tried ever since the death of Mrs. Adair
to find a buyer or buyers for the entire estate, but to date have
not been successful.
If the grazing land is ultimately cut up into small ranches and
the farming land is cut up into farms as these men who are in
charge think will be done, then the tillable land, which according
to Mr. Hobart is about twelve per cent, or thirty-one thousand
eight hundred and twenty-four acres, will take care of one hun-
dred and ninety-nine families, allowing one hundred and sixty
acres to the family, and this will leave three hundred sixty-five
thousand nine hundred and ninety-six acres to be divided into
a number of smaller ranches.
Now as to the probability of that part of the ranch lying along
the edge of the Cap Rock, known as the Palo Duro Canyon, being
converted into a private or state park, it is very doubtful, and
nothing very definite has been done along this line; however, a
proposition looking forward to this end is pending at the present
time. Sam Braswell, editor of the Clarendon News, at a regional
meeting of the Texas State Parks Board in Amarillo, May 18 and
19, 1926, made a speech before this board and suggested that a
scenic highway be laid out, starting from Clarendon and going
along the present road to J A Headquarters, then entering the
Palo Duro somewhere near the J A Headquarters and going
up the Palo Duro as far as the mouth of Cafion Cito Blanco,
then up to the Cafion Cito Blanco and coming out at Cafion
City. He also suggested that a road leading out from Claude
should be made, possibly coming through the Panhandle Boy
Scout Camp Ground on Dr. W. A. Warner's place, and connect-
ing with the proposed scenic highway in the Palo Duro Canyon.
Acting upon the suggestion of Mr. Braswell, D. E. Colp, Chair-
man of the Texas State Parks Committee of San Antonio, called
an informal meeting of interested parties (after the regular meet-
ing had adjourned) in the Amarillo Hotel. As a result of this
meeting, Mr. Colp agreed to come to Clarendon and bring an
engineer from the Highway Department, the Clarendon Chamber
of Commerce agreed to furnish one man and pay for the groceries
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 32, July 1928 - April, 1929, periodical, 1929; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101089/m1/65/: accessed April 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.