The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 33, July 1929 - April, 1930 Page: 298
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
in Cherokee County, July 15-16, 1839,25 and, in part, to the better
organization of the ranger forces under the captaincy of ark R.
Roberts, Daniel R. Jackson and Joseph Sowell.20 Moreover, late
in the spring of 1839 Holland Coffee returned to Warren from
Houston where he had served as a member of the Third Congress
of the Republic, bringing with him his bride, Sophia Suttenfield.
The couple stopped a few days in Warren while an escort was
being secured to attend them to Coffee's Station. Coffee, while
waiting, made an investigation of the Indian situation, and prom-
ised the harassed settlers to use all of his prestige with the savages
in an effort to establish peace with them. No sooner had he
reached his trading post than Coffee raised a party of men and set
out to hold a series of peace parleys with the Indians. His nego-
tiations proved entirely successful, and while the treaty lasted but
a short while it gave the settlers a much needed rest from Indian
hostilities and permitted them to return for a time to their neg-
"2Brown, History of Texas, II, 162-163.
2Bates, History and Reminiscences of Denton County, 2.
="Wilbarger, Indian Depredations in Texas, 394.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 33, July 1929 - April, 1930, periodical, 1930; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101090/m1/324/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.