The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 33, July 1929 - April, 1930 Page: 81
Book Reviews and Notices
finances of the State from annexation until 1861; the history of a
slave plantation; the secession movement and its growth; the first
session of the Secession Convention; on Texas during the Civil
war; on Texas from the Fall of the Confederacy to the beginning
of Reconstruction; the Reconstruction Period-1865 to 1874; the
Grange as a political factor; the economic history of Texas from
1865; transportation in Texas (from Potts's work on that subject,
which is long since out of print) dealing with the development of
the railroads of Texas; some aspects of the history of West and
Northwest Texas since 1845; the Texas rangers; life on a typical
ranch; managing a trail herd from Texas; the development of
agriculture in West Texas; and the volume closes with Walter P.
Webb's suggestions for the study and writing of local history, and
the editor's book list, and a good index of the entire contents.
The book will be valuable not alone to the schools and the
students therein, of Texas history, but also to every person, in or
out of Texas interested in knowing Texas's history, and the facts
and developments on which that history has depended. In editing
it and placing its contents in reach of readers, Dr. Barker has
done a distinct service to the state.
R. C. CRANE.
The XI T Ranch of Texas and the Early Days of the Llano
Estacado. By J. Evetts Haley, Field Secretary of the
Panhandle-Plains Historical Society. (Copyright by Capi-
tol Reservation Lands, Chicago. 1929. Privately printed.
Pp. XVI, 261.)
The Texas Constitution of 1876 was ratified with a provision
authorizing the legislature to dispose of three million acres of land
for the purpose of erecting a capitol. In February, 1879, the
legislature passed a law, reserving five million acres, from which
3,050,000 acres was finally selected, the odd 50,000 acres being sold
to pay the cost of surveying the whole. Eleven plans for the
capitol building were submitted and an expert architect was em-
ployed to select the plan which was adopted. In January, 1882,
the contract to put up the building was awarded to a bidder from
Rock Island, Illinois. In May, 1882, the contractor assigned his
contract to Taylor, Babcock and Company of Chicago, composed
of Abner Taylor, A. C. Babcock, John V. Farwell, and Charles B.
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 33, July 1929 - April, 1930, periodical, 1930; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101090/m1/89/ocr/: accessed January 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.