The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931 Page: 63
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
History of Fannin County, 1836-1848
founder of a settlement famous in Fannin's early history. Coffee
established Coffee's Station in Preston Bend, Montague located at
Warren's stockade near the mouth of Choctaw Bayou, and was the
real originator of "Old" Warren, while Inglish's blockhouse was
the first house in the settlement that afterward became Bonham.
Among these settlements Warren early assumed the first rank.
The village, as we have seen, was built about the deserted stockade
erected as a trading post by Abel Warren in 1836. Its first in-
habitant after its abandonment by Warren was Montague, who
settled near by in November, 1837. In the summer or autumn of
1838 the committee on location of the seat of justice selected
Warren as the most likely place for the erection of a courthouse.
During the succeeding winter and spring the stockade was fre-
quented by refugees who camped within the walls of the fort in
order to escape the attacks of hostile Indians. Doubtless it was
during this year that Montague and William Henderson built the
general merchandise store that supplied the pioneers with the few
simple commodities that they were unable to produce at home.6
The summer of 1839 was made notable by the establishment of
a school at Warren. A log cabin previously used as a stable was
thoroughly cleaned and furnished with split log benches. A patron
wealthy in furniture donated a chair for the teacher. John
Trimble was hired to serve as instructor, and a search was insti-
tuted to determine what books were available for texts. The fol-
lowing books were discovered and pressed into use:
(1) The New Testament; the Old Testament was considered
too historical for beginners, observes Mrs. Catherine Dugan Tay-
lor, a student in this pioneer school;
(2) The Life of John Nelson, a Methodist preacher;
(3) Pilgrim's Progress;
(4) Fox's Book of Martyrs;
(5) a number of Webster's Spellers;
(6) a grammar, Murray's;
(7) an arithmetic, kind unknown.
The students in this school were William and Lee Langford,
Artelia Baker and a smaller sister, Mary and Louisa Davis, Cath-
erine and Henry Dugan, a girl named Moody, and Martin Hart.7
With death and destruction sweeping the frontier during the
6Wilbarger, Indian Depredations in Texas, 390 ff.
'Ibid., 393 ff.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931, periodical, 1931; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101091/m1/67/: accessed June 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.