The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931 Page: 66
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Do., Wm. C. Young of Do., John M. Hansford, late of Allen Lodge
No. 24, Glasgow, Kentucky, on the third day of November, A. D.
1840, A. L. 5840 The Worshipful Master appointed Win. C. Young,
secretary pro tem., Brother John B. Craig, treasurer pro tom.,
Brother John B. Denton, Senior Deacon pro tem., Brother John
M. Hansford, Junior Deacon pro tem., Brother Seth Parker,
Tyler. Whereupon the Worshipful Constantine Lodge was opened
in due form, this third day of November, 1840, A. L. 5840.12
It will be noted that only three Fannin County men took part in
the first meeting of the lodge, the others, Williams, Craig, Denton,
Young and Hansford, being Red River County men who were in
Warren attending court which opened its term November 2.
The first session of the lodge continued through the following
three nights. Upon the night of the fourth, Edward H. Tarrant
was present and served as Worshipful Master, while William G.
Cooke, "the most Worshipful Deputy Grand Master" acted as
Junior Deacon. The following were elected to receive the first
degree in Masonry: John R. Garnett, William R. Baker, Thomas
Jouitt, John P. Simpson, John Hart, Thomas F. Smith, John G.
Jouitt and Joseph Sowell. All were duly initiated the same night
except Joseph Sowell who for some reason did not take the degree.
Before the next meeting of the lodge he was killed by Indians.'"
Warren served not only as the first seat of justice for Fannin
County but it was also one of the first postoffices established west
of Clarksville. In December, 1837, the Postmaster General of the
Republic of Texas was instructed by Congress to establish as soon
as practicable a mail route from Nacogdoches, via the county seat
of Red River County and Jonesboro to the seat of justice of Fannin
County, and see to it that mail was carried over the route every
two weeks.'4 In January, 1839, a route was established from
Shelton's store in present day Lamar County to Coffee's Station
by the way of Fort Inglish and Warren.', In February, 1840,
Congress confirmed the use of the following routes that had been
previously established: Route number seven, from Jonesboro to
the seat of justice of Fannin County, via Franklin, Johnson,
Raleigh, and Lexington; route number eight from the seat of
" Mimttes of the Constantine Lodge, No. 13, A. F. & A. M., 1 ff.
"Lusk, History of Consta*tine Lodge, No. 13, A. F. & A. M., Bonham,
"1Gammel, Laws of Texas, I, 1439.
"Ibid., II, 128.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931, periodical, 1931; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101091/m1/70/: accessed January 18, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.