The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931 Page: 67
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
History of Fannin County, 1836-1843
justice to Coffee's Station; and route number nine from Clarks-
ville to the seat of justice of Fannin County via Shelton's store
and Fort Inglish." Early postmasters were Rowlett at Lexington,
Jouitt at Raleigh, Inglish at Fort Inglish and Roswell W. Lee at
With the removal of the county seat from Warren in 1845 that
town began to decline as a business center. One by one its build-
ings were moved or permitted to fall into decay. At the present
there is not a single structure standing upon the site of Warren to
show the location of that once flourishing town. The old log court-
house was moved years ago to the Whiting place in the Virginia
Point community, whence it was moved, after having been taken
apart, to Bonham in 1924. The building has not been reassembled
since its removal.
In 1840 the town of Bois D'Arc was composed of two log huts
that were situated near the present site of the public square, one
to the south and the other to the northeast. At the distance of a
mile and a quarter to the northeast of this pair of buildings stood
Bailey Inglish's residence that served both as fort and postoffice.
To the south and east of where the square is now located there
was heavy timber but to the north and west was the open prairie.
After 1843 when the county archives were moved from Warren to
Bois D'Arc the village began to grow somewhat rapidly.s8 The
postoffice was likewise moved from Inglish's home to Bois D'Arc,
but Inglish continued to serve as postmaster for a time at least.'9
Later, during 1846, Alex Johnston, his brother-in-law, was post-
John P. Simpson built the first jail of Fannin County in 1843
at his own expense. It was a small log structure four feet by
eight.21 Tradition has it that the first house built in Bois D'Arc
after the removal of the county seat was a school building in which
Wilkes Fletcher taught the first term of school.22
The first act in the drama of the planting of Fannin County is
6"Ibid., II, 676.
1The Clarksville Northern Standard, October 14 and December 9, 1813.
"sCarter, History of Fannin County, 95-96.
"Clarksville Northern Standard, December 9, 1843.
"Personal interview with Lee Nelms.
"Lusk, History of Constantine Lodge, No. 13, A. F. d A. M., Bonham,
2"Biographical Souvenirs of Temas, 571.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931, periodical, 1931; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101091/m1/71/: accessed August 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.