The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931 Page: 68
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
completed. The characters have been introduced and the stage
and background presented. To others the task of completion is
In 1843 seven years had passed since the entry of the first settlers
into Fannin County. If during this time the area had not lost its
status as a pioneer community, much had been accomplished to-
ward pushing the frontier westward into what is now Cooke and
Denton Counties. The rapid influx of immigrants had filled the
older sections of the county to such a degree that the hard condi-
tions of backwoods life had been ameliorated, and the loneliness
and isolation of the days of the forerunners practically done away
with. A completely organized system of local government carried
out the administration of justice and attended to the disposition
of the public lands as fully and exactly as any similar public busi-
ness at present. The permanent fixation of the seat of justice at
Bonham had eliminated the possibility of future contention between
rival communities over the location of the county seat and the con-
sequent hard feelings engendered by such wrangling. The mark-
ing and clearing of roads and the establishment of ferries and
bridges made possible communication between the local communi-
ties and connected the inhabitants of the county with the settle-
ments in east and south Texas. The circuit rider and wandering
preacher had brought in the beginnings of church organizations,
and schools had been started. Primitive manufacture was repre-
sented by tanyards, grist mills and distilleries. Finally the pioneers
no longer were forced to devote their major energy toward re-
pelling hostile Indians or their renegade fellows. Civilized en-
deavor was soon to clear large farms, replace the log houses with
frame buildings, plant orchards, and introduce large herds of cattle
to use the open prairies. Speculators were soon to offer lots in
townsites and rude villages to furnish retail centers for enter-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931, periodical, 1931; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101091/m1/72/: accessed May 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.