The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931 Page: 87
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Historical Note on Dimmit County, Texas
the yet comparatively low prices at which it is now being held . .
When a railroad strikes here our farmers will have enough business
for it to make a good item in its revenue receipts.
They already find it profitable to ship their cotton, onions, fruits,
and other products to the railroads by a long haul, but with the
inducements and advantages that a closer railroad connection would
afford, the output would be increased manifold, and better com-
pensation for their labors would be obtained. . . . Some of the
large stock owners here are cultivating a considerable acreage them-
selves, but may find it to their interest before long to cut up some
of their lands into small farms and invite farmers to settle upon
them, as the price of farming land in the near future will not jus-
tify them in holding it for exclusive grazing purposes. The man
with the hoe has appeared above the horizon, and he is coming with
his wife and children, and coming prepared to stay.15
More wells were sunk and settlers continued to move in. By
1904 a government observer reported 30 flowing wells in the vicin-
ity of Carrizo Springs irrigating 1,026 acres, with average flows
from 40 to 300 gallons per minute; a Richardson and an Eardley
well yielded as high as 1,200 and 1,400 gallons, respectively. Two
years later there were over 60 wells, and by 1909 the number
claimed was over 200.
Bermuda onions became the principal crop almost at once after
its initial success at Cotulla. According to the account usually
accredited, T. C. Nye raised some in a small patch irrigated from
a windmill and shipped them to Milwaukee, where they attracted
the attention of Major Seefeldt, an importer. The latter came to
South Texas, encouraged increased production, and started the
industry on a rapid course of development. As early as 1903 it
was estimated that it would take 100 wagons six weeks to move the
season's crop from Dimmit County to Millet, on the railroad near
Cotulla. In 1906 the farmers of the county shipped 45 carloads
The coming of railroad transportation definitely opened the new
era in Dimmit County. By 1910 there were two railroads in the
county. One, the Asherton and Gulf, was built from the new town
of Asherton to Bart on the I. & G. N. by Asher Richardson, a
leading rancher and farmer. The other, completed shortly after-
wards, was brought south from Uvalde and Crystal City with the
inducement of a bonus raised by Carrizo Springs.
1"October 11, 1902.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 34, July 1930 - April, 1931, periodical, 1931; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101091/m1/97/: accessed April 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.