The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 35, July 1931 - April, 1932 Page: 147
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
John Rice Jones
while after this marriage, a Jones home was established at old
"Spanish Camp" in Wharton county.
John Rice Jones and Stephen F. Austin had been boys together
in Missouri while their fathers, John Rice Jones, Sr., and Moses
Austin, were business partners, running several lead mines near
Potosi. The Jones-Austin copartnership continued at that place
for several years, when Jones sold out to Austin and resumed the
practice of law in St. Louis, Moses Austin soon thereafter turn-
ing the mines over to other parties and leaving on his arduous
trip to Texas. Stephen F. Austin within a short time took up the
work his father had inaugurated, and young Jones went with his
father's family to St. Louis. We have no knowledge that these
young men met again until a number of years later in Texas.
Houck's Missouri history records the names of Moses Austin and
John Rice Jones, Sr., as trustees of an "Academy" established at
Potosi in 1817, which ran for some years after their departure.
After leaving Potosi, John Rice Jones, the younger, engaged
in the mercantile business, was a postmaster, and taught school
in Missouri, after enlistment for fighting under Captain Dodge.
He accumulated some property in 1820, but seems to have lost
some of it later on. In the St. Louis Enquirer, February 3, 1820,
he advertised to sell two valuable properties near St. Louis, and
to "receive young negroes in part payment." He evidently was
successful in disposing of at least some of his Missouri holdings,
for soon after he moved to Texas he was trying to sell some Mis-
souri slaves in order to get money with which to engage in the
mercantile business at San Felipe.'
At the San Felipe meeting, July, 1835, a committee composed
of Martin Allen, J. Urban, John Rice Jones, Joshua Fletcher
and C. B. Stewart was appointed to draft resolutions setting forth
the attitude of the colonists there regarding Mexican unfairness.
The resolutions submitted were adopted, only to be rescinded a
little later when General Cos sent in a conciliatory note.
Three months after this action (October 4, 1835) and after
the colonists had finally ceased to be pacified by Mexican prom-
ises, the "Committee of Vigilence" of Austin colony ordered the
establishment of a "Provisional Postoffice Department," and sug-
gested that "John R. Jones, whose well known integrity and long
'Jones to Perry, February 15, 1835, Barker, Austin Papers, II, IX, 44.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 35, July 1931 - April, 1932, periodical, 1932; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101092/m1/151/: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.