The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 36, July 1932 - April, 1933 Page: 25
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Forerunners of De Leon's Exlpedition to Texas
The two other children, the Indian related, had been killed by their
Having spent two days at San Isidro, the expedition continued
northward eight leagues and reached a "small river which they
said was called Dacate." This, we take it, was Devil's River.
Though no mention of it is made in the diary, it is plain that
Bosque was now where Brother Manuel had been a year before.83
The chief of the Geniocane Indians, who. visited the Spaniards at
this place, related "that he was awaiting the religious with his
people at another place farther on, that they might give them
Christian instruction and catechise them in it." Evidently, Man-
uel had previously met these Indians and promised them that he
would return and instruct them. It is a pity that Brother Manuel
was not selected to accompany the Bosque expedition and that
neither of the missionaries now with Bosque kept a diary.
On Monday, May 20, the expedition resumed the journey. After
traveling several leagues, they were met by the Geniocanes who
conducted them to their rancheria, which was situated "in an
arroyo between some hills," about eight leagues north of where
they reached and presumably crossed Devils River. On the fol-
lowing day, an altar having been erected, Father Dionisio celebrated
Holy Mass; whereupon the Indians received religious instruction
from the missionaries. As previously at San Isidro, so here at
San Jorge, Father Larios took official possession of the place. The
Geniocanes numbered one hundred and seventy-eight persons, sixty-
five of whom were adults.
Several days were spent at San Jorge. During this time, Bosque
and the friars treated with the Indians. On account of the dis-
tance to Guadalupe and the hostility of neighboring tribes, it was
decided to form San Jorge into a settlement for the Geniocanes and
other Indians who had come to see the Spaniards. On May 25 the
expedition again set out and, after traveling northward fourteen
leagues, they "arrived at a small arroyo with heavy timber, between
some knolls and hills." Naming this place San Pablo, Bosque in-
structed the four chiefs who had accompanied the Spaniards from
B"It is important to recall here that Brother Manuel, after crossing the
RIo Grande, traveled northward three days (probably some eighteen
leagues) and then reached "a mountain range which the Indians call
Dacate." This seems to show that Manuel crossed the river farther up
than where the expedition of Bosque crossed it. Apparently, Manuel
crossed at a point due south of San Isidro.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 36, July 1932 - April, 1933, periodical, 1933; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101093/m1/33/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.