The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 39, July 1935 - April, 1936 Page: 227
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Campaigning in the Big Bend of the Rio Grande
stantly on the move, scouting and fighting over a rough and
extensive territory where modern counties are larger than many
In a camp on the Rio Puerco, the two divisions were once more
united with the supply train and reserves. There Ugalde took
stock of his resources, at the same time recruiting the strength
of man and beast in preparation for a new phase of the campaign.
From some captives, information had been gained of a powerful
tribe of Apaches to be found at the headwaters of the Rio Colo-
rado. These Lipiyanes, or Llaneros, were of such warlike dis-
position that for more than half a century they had held their
own against the vicious attacks of the Comanches in the struggle
for ultimate control of their choice hunting ground. The descrip-
tion of this tribe and its powerful, undefeated chieftain only
whetted the desire of Ugalde to make him feel the weight of
Spanish arms. Thus we may leave him with the Big Bend phase
of the campaign completed, looking forward to an encounter with
Chief Picax-ande Ins-tinsle, the Apache bulwark against Comanche
University of California.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 39, July 1935 - April, 1936, periodical, 1936; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101095/m1/247/: accessed November 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.