The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 39, July 1935 - April, 1936 Page: 18
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Inlet on August 28 and 29, 1861; Major General Ben Butler from
her deck directed the landing of troops. She was ordered to cross
the bar and get close to the beach; Captain Faunce knew the depth
of water, and protested, but was ordered in. The ship struck, and
was nearly lost in the breakers, and had to jettison the guns which
had outranged those of the forts. Her boats, coal, water and
ammunition were also thrown overboard to lighten her, and after
forty-eight hours she washed into deeper water, strained and
leaking. Captain Faunce took her to Hampton Roads, and then
to New York, where she was turned over to a naval complement,
September 7, 1861. She ceased to be a revenue cutter.
On a passage from Washington to Key West, under the com-
mand of Lieutenant Commander J. Wainwright, U. S. N., a Con-
federate battery at Cockpit Point hit her with a rifled shell, cutting
in two the rim of the port wheel, and destroying the wheelhouse.
The vulnerable side wheels were to get her into trouble later on.
The Lane was the flagship of a fleet of mortar schooners in the
attack on the forts protecting New Orleans, and the surrender of
those forts was arranged in her cabin, where the Prince of Wales
had been kept from smoking. The first two men killed in the
battle had been on the Lane. She later was at the capture of
Pensacola, and towed two mortar schooners to assist in the bom-
bardment of Vicksburg.
The taking of Galveston, first by the Federal fleet, and then by
the Confederate force under General Magruder, has been told you
The Lane was repaired, General Magruder naturally thinking
that she could be used as a war vessel. Legal difficulties at first
prevented, until she was condemned in court as a prize; a crew
was kept on board, but the care needed for the preservation
of any ship was lacking. The white decks and polished
brass and mahogany, and the trig spars, rapidly deteri-
orated. She was lightened, and taken to Houston. Her guns
were put ashore, in forts. First the Confederate Navy took her
from the Army, found her unsuitable for use as a cruiser like the
Alabama, and turned her back to the Army, which sent down her
lofty masts and spars, and loaded her with cotton, under the
ownership of Mr. House, of Galveston. She was commanded by
Lieutenant J. N. Barney, of the Confederate States Navy. The
Federals were very eager to regain the vessel, and there is record
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 39, July 1935 - April, 1936, periodical, 1936; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101095/m1/26/: accessed May 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.