The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 39, July 1935 - April, 1936 Page: 25
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Colonel Lee's Report on Indian Coimbats in Texas
mand the expedition called into the field to maintain the supremacy
of the laws. On the 14th of December he proceeded from Fort
Brown,6 where the troops had assembled, to disperse the banditti,
who, it was understood, were entrenched some eight or ten miles
above Brownsville. The command consisted of Companies E, 2nd
Cavalry, and C, L, and M, 1st Artillery-about 150 men-with
two 24 pounder howitzers, and Captains Tobin's,7 Hampton's and
Tomlinson's companies of Texas Rangers-about 125 men more.
When the command was about ten and a half miles above Browns-
ville-having passed the first entrenchments, which had been aban-
doned, and was advancing in a narrow road lined with dense
chapparal and ebony trees, it was fired upon with a piece of artil-
lery. The fire was returned, and Lieut. Ramsey with L, and M
companies, 1st Artillery, and some Rangers were ordered to attack.
They drove the outlaws-about 100 in number-from their posi-
tion, and forced a portion across the Rio Grande. The remainder
fled, leaving behind some provisions and old arms. Major Heintzel-
man commends his whole command, officers and men, but notices
Lieut. T. C. Sullivan, 1st Artillery, as having been conspicuously
cool in the management of his guns.
Information having reached Major Heintzelman that Cortinas
had collected his scattered forces and was laying waste the Rio
Grande frontier, he again, on the 21st of December, moved from
Brownsville with the same command, strengthened by Major
Ford'ss and Captain Herron's companies of Rangers-in all about
338 men. As the troops advanced up. the river the marauders
retreated before them, until, on the 26th of December, it was
ascertained that more than 500 men were at Rio Grande City.
It was determined to surprise them, and Major Heintzelman left
his camp at midnight, and arrived within three miles of their
position before dawn on the 27th. After a spirited resistance,
they were driven from every position for ten miles, and com-
pletely dispersed. They abandoned everything-artillery, small
arms, provisions and baggage. The energy and determination
evinced in bringing them to battle merits high commendation.
'Fort Brown, at Brownsville, Texas; established March 8, 1846; still
'Captain W. G. Tobin, of San Antonio, Texas.
'Major John S. Ford ("Old Rip").
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 39, July 1935 - April, 1936, periodical, 1936; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101095/m1/33/: accessed December 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.