The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937 Page: 18
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwester Historical Quarterly
already ashore. Busy for several days with various matters per-
taining to the welfare of the first immigrants he arranged on
December 17 with a Mr. White for the purchase of a tract of land
in Indian Point for the use of the Society. He named this loca-
tion Carlshafen, since Prince Leiningen, Count Castell, and Prince
Solms all had the given name of Carl.
He pointed out again the impossibility and impracticability of
founding the first settlement on the Llano and praised the region
between the Guadalupe and San Antonio rivers as especially suit-
able. He considered the so-called "fountains," thirty miles from
San Antonio on the way to Austin, as an ideal location for the
first settlement, because of the fertile soil, the beautiful region,
the excellent cedar and oak woods, the good water, and the abun-
dant power. The proximity to San Antonio and Seguin would
enable the settlers to get aid and protection readily. Lying at
the foot of the hill country, this settlement was to become the
center of the colonization work, since it was equidistant from the
coast and the colony lands.
Having made up his mind on the location of the first settle-
ment, Prince Solms turned next to the problem of reaching the
settlement. He proposed to establish several stations on the way
from Carlshafen to the point where the Guadalupe was to be
crossed, about twelve miles below Victoria. The first station out
of Carlshafen was to be located on Chocolate Creek, also called
the Agua Dulce, about twelve miles distant, where, as Prince
Solms wrote, he had acquired 1100 acres from a Mr. Hatch. This
station, which was to be called Leiningen in honor of the several
members of the Leiningen family who belonged to the Society,
was to be the prince's headquarters. The second station, called
Castell in honor of Count Castell, the Society's business director,
was twelve miles farther up the low country at a place where the
Guadalupe could be crossed easily. How many other stations
would have to be made on the way to the first settlement and
from there to the grant, as well as for the protection of the prin-
cipal settlement and the mines on the grant, Prince Solms said
he could determine only after personal inspection. Below Vic-
toria, at the proposed station of Castell, the road was to cross the
Guadalupe and run in as direct a line as possible to the settlement
along the watershed between the Guadalupe and the San Antonio,
with its tributary, the Cibolo. Wherever necessary, bridges were
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937, periodical, 1937; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101099/m1/26/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.