The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937 Page: 25
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Prince Solms's Trip, to, Texas, 1844-1845
outlined certain changes in the colonization program, especially
the founding of the settlements between Matagorda Bay and the
Llano, so as to reach the grant by easy stages, and recommended
the purchase of land for this purpose.
Prince Solms set May 15 as the date for his departure from
New Braunfels in order that he might reach Boston by the mid-
dle of June and get a boat bound for Europe at that time. When
he finally left New Braunfels his successor, Baron von Meusebach,
who had been expected daily for nearly a month, had not arrived.
At Gonzales, where he heard that von Meusebach had come
through that place on his way to New Braunfels, he awaited von
Meusebach's return. It was lucky that he did, for upon reach-
ing Galveston he was besieged by many of the Society's creditors,
whose bills Meusebach paid. Prince Solms left Galveston on
June 4, paid some more claims of creditors in New Orleans with
money given him by Meusebach, and late in July he was back
home in Germany.48
4S-B A., XL, 118-127, XXX, 163-166; Kalender fir 1916, pp. 63-64;
Prince Solms to Meusebach , New Orleans, June 11, 1845, in Henry Francis
Fisher papers, University of Texas.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937, periodical, 1937; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101099/m1/33/: accessed June 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.