The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937 Page: 62
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
It is safe to assume that the boundaries of this grant were not
actually surveyed and that the mounds certified by the justice of
the peace were imaginary, since the tract in question has a
boundary line approximating four hundred miles in length, travers-
ing arid terrain on the east and rugged mountains on the south-
west and south. It is difficult to locate the southwestern boundary
with a dependable degree of accuracy; but, with reference to a
map of southeastern Colorado, one may get a fair idea of the
extent of this grant from the fact that it borders the Arkansas on
the north for a distance of about seventy miles and extends about
one hundred miles in the direction of New Mexico, including all
the land from one league east of the Purgatoire to the mountains
beyond the headwaters of the Apishapa and the Huerfano. It
included the Huerfano basin but only the upper portion of the
St. Charles basin.
The other grant, made to Gervacio Nolan, is known as the
Nolan grant. It is rather small as compared with the Vigil-St.
Vrain (or Las Animas) grant. Its original boundaries were as
Commencing on the south bank of the Arkansas river, a league
and a half below the confluence of the Don Carlos River with the
former river, where was placed the first landmark, thence following
up the same Arkansas River five leagues above the confluence of the
Don Carlos River, where was placed the second land-mark; thence
running half way up the brow of the mountain, where was placed
the third land-mark; and thence following from north to south
the same brow of the mountain to a point opposite the first land-
mark, where was placed the fourth and last land-mark; thence
running to the point of beginning.9
It should be noticed that the Nolan grant lies immediately west
of, and adjacent to, the Vigil-St. Vrain grant. The mountain
which is here designated is the Greenhorn, which rises rather boldly
from the high plateau and dominates the landscape to the south-
westward of Pueblo.
It is easy to dispose of the question of the extent to which these
land grants served the purpose of the Mexican Government.
During the continuation of Mexican jurisdiction, 1843-1848, no
settlement was attempted on the Nolan grant; and the one attempt
'Official Records of Pueblo County [Colorado], Clerk's Office, Deed Book
No. 3, p. 551, recorded October 2, 1871.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937, periodical, 1937; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101099/m1/70/: accessed February 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.