The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937 Page: 74
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
This deed states that eleven square leagues had been confirmed
by Congress, but the original boundaries of the grant are specified.
On May 1, 1872, the Central Colorado Improvement Company
deeded its interests to trustees as security for the company's bonds
in the amount of one million five hundred thousand dollars47
On January 2, 1880, the Colorado Coal and Iron Company
(formed by the consolidation of the Southern Colorado Coal and
Town Company, the Central Colorado Improvement Company,
and the Colorado Coal and Steel Works Company) filed articles
of incorporation; and on January 24, 1880, the Central Colorado
Improvement Company deeded all of its landed properties in
Colorado (principally the Nolan grant) to the Colorado Coal and
Iron Company for the nominal consideration of one dollar.'8
This was the first conveyance of the Nolan grant after it was pat-
ented in 1875, the deed of trust for same being still in the posses-
sion of the trustees. This first deed of trust was released to the
Colorado Coal and Iron Company on May 26, 1890; but in the
meantime the said company had conveyed to Louis H. Meyer, the
sole remaining trustee, a number of specified sections and parts
of sections of land as security for the company's bonds in the
amount of three million five hundred thousand dollars.49 Here for
the first time is found a specified description of the lands involved
in a large transaction pertaining to the Nolan grant.
The Colorado Fuel and Iron Company, formed by a consolida-
tion of the Colorado Fuel Company and the Colorado Coal and
Iron Company on October 21, 1892, received by deed of conveyance
all the properties of the Colorado Coal and Iron Company (with
a few specified exceptions).s5 The town of Bessemer (incorporated
July 26, 1886), the Bessemer Homestead Company (incorporated
June 13, 1890), and the Minnequa Town Company (incorporated
May 29, 1900), became interested in land titles derived from the
Nolan grant through the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company.5'
'Official Records of Pueblo County, Mortgage File No. 1, p. 377 (August
'Official Records of Pueblo County, Deed Book No. 25, pp. 611 (April
6, 1881) and 227 (June 4, 1880).
4"Official Records of Pueblo County, Deed Book No. 93, p. 389 (June
2, 1890), and Deed Book No. 21, p. 276 (June 19, 1880).
"Official Records of Pueblo County, Deed Book No. 150, p. 1 (February
"'Official Records of Pueblo County, Deed Book No. 49, p. 575 (August
20, 1886), and Deed Book No. 212, p. 205 (August 10, 1900).
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 40, July 1936 - April, 1937, periodical, 1937; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101099/m1/82/: accessed August 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.