The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 41, July 1937 - April, 1938 Page: 166
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
166 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
"In all the pueblos and missions [of Pimerfa Alta] there are very
worthy churches; and the sacristies are provided with all the vestments
and sacred vessels. In every mission all the ecclesiastical functions are
celebrated with the order and the rites which our holy Mother, the Church,
prescribes in the rest of Christendom. During the time that my holy college
has had charge of these missions, the missionaries have introduced into
them the use of mortar and brick, which was unknown to the Indians; and
holding in one hand a sword to fight off the enemy and in the other a
trowel, with these materials they have erected from the foundations the
churches of Pitiqui, San Ignacio, Sfric, and Tubutama, adorning them with
most beautiful vaults; and this being something never seen before, not
only in Pimeria, but in all of Sonora, causes admiration and excites one to
praise God. All have been embellished; and lastly we hope to see completed
this year the church which has been built in the mission of San Xavier
del Bac, the last Christian pueblo lying to the north, which before all the
others can compare with the most beautiful of Mexico, and in this country
must in justice be styled marvelous." This statement makes it clear beyond
all doubt that the Franciscan missionaries of the college of Queritaro were
the builders of all the old brick mission churches in Pimerfa Alta, and that
San Xavier del Bac was practically completed in December, 1793.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 41, July 1937 - April, 1938, periodical, 1938; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101103/m1/182/: accessed August 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.