The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 41, July 1937 - April, 1938 Page: 224
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
224 Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Nacogdoches County. This tributary is now known as Bill's
The reference to "Bill's Creek" as "one of the tributaries of
Shawnee Creek," should be Dill Creek, one of the tributaries of
the Angelina River. Dill Creek is named for James Dill, the first
alcalde of Nacogdoches after the Mexican Revolution in 1821. He
is said to have settled on that creek soon after the Indian trader
came to Texas, about 1790.
There are also some errors in The Geography of Texas,25 by
Smith and Walker, that should be corrected, as will be noted on
pages 64 and 65: Mission Concepci6n at San Antonio is stated
to have been erected there in 1716, when in fact it was built in
1731, after the abandonment of the mission of the same name in
Nacogdoches County. Then on page 65 is shown a picture of
Mission San Francisco de la Espada at San Antonio, with the
statement that it was erected in 1690, and is the oldest of all
the Texas missions. It also was erected in San Antonio in 1731,
after its abandonment in East Texas.
R. B. BLAKE.
24Ibid., p. 154.
25H. Smith and Walker, The Geography of Texas, pp. 64-65.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 41, July 1937 - April, 1938, periodical, 1938; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101103/m1/246/: accessed April 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.