The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 41, July 1937 - April, 1938 Page: 242
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
and not John R. Baylor as was stated in this department in the
The Historical Records Survey has issued an Inventory of Den-
ton County Archives. This book contains 125 mimeographed pages.
Following the preface is a "Historical Sketch of Denton County,"
and this is succeeded by a detailed list of the official records found
in the courthouse. The Historical Records Survey of Texas is
under the supervision of Ike Moore, now of Hillsboro. Another
Texan, Dr. Luther H. Evans, is national supervisor. The plan is
to issue one of the books for each county in the state. When that
is done, students who are writing county histories will have excel-
lent guides to the most useful sources.
The following facts about Denton County may be of interest.
The legislature created the County of Denton from Fannin on
April 11, 1846. The county was named for John B. Denton, who
was killed by Indians on Keechi Creek, May 22, 1841. In 1860
John Chisum exhumed the body and transferred it to the Chisum
ranch near Bolivar. The first settlement was established near the
present town of Hebron in 1843 and was known as the Bridges
Settlement. The first post-office was established at the home of
Kit King on the bank of Little Elm near the present Sherman-
Denton highway. In 1848 a French Socialist settlement, named
New Icara, was made near Justin. The experiment lasted one
year, apparently a good average for such experiments in those
days. The map showing Denton and Hickory creeks and Elm Fork
of the Trinity River reminds us of Sam Bass who made Denton
County his rendezvous. One can look at this map and understand
why Sam always went back to Denton County after robbing a
train in the vicinity of Dallas.
The New Mexico Historical Review for July, 1937, has a sug-
gestive article by Lansing B. Bloom on "The Chihuahua Highway."
The article does not deal so much with the ancient Chihuahua Road
as with the proposed modern highway which will follow in general
the old trail. The author estimates that during the season of 1937
about 45,000 automobiles crossed into Mexico carrying 145,000
passengers and leaving in the southern republic the sum of ten
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 41, July 1937 - April, 1938, periodical, 1938; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101103/m1/264/: accessed April 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.