The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939 Page: 259
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
pological researches had provided enough material on Indian cul-
tures to fill a building. Professor Pearce was appointed director
of the Texas Memorial Museum in June, 1938. He died four
months later, October 22, 1938 at his home in Austin. Dr. E. H.
Sellards has been appointed to succeed Professor Pearce.
In November the No. 1 issue of "Museum Notes" appeared, a
four page folder that doubtless will be followed by many and
larger publications. It describes the organization and gives the
staff personnel of the Museum. The divisions are Anthropology,
Botany, Geology, History, and Zoology.
This year marks the hundredth anniversary of the founding
of the capital of Texas. The city is a monument to the far-
sightedness and wisdom of Stephen F. Austin whose services
to the State are known to only a few people. Austin was not
a glamorous person, but a quiet man who preferred, as he once
said, to slide along without any noise. I wish to remind those
who would like to know Austin better that his biography was
written several years ago by Dr. Eugene C. Barker, a biography
thoroughly in keeping with the subject and the author. In
recording Austin's death and in estimating his character the
author exhibits a restraint comparable to that exhibited so often
by the subject when dealing with situations charged with the
explosives of human passion.
On Sunday, October 16, 1938, the State of Texas presented
a historical monument to the City of Laredo. During the Cen-
tennial year, this monument was erected on Martin Plaza, formerly
Old San Augustin Plaza, commemorating the founding of Villa
de Laredo by Tomas Sanchez, May 15, 1755. In 1767 the place
was chartered by the King of Spain as Villa de San Augustin de
Laredo. It was incorporated in the State of Tamaulipas, Mexico,
in 1821 and served as a concentration point for General Santa
Anna during the Texas revolution. It was the capital of the
Republic of the Rio Grande in 1839, occupied by General Alex-
ander Somervell in December, 1842, and by General Zachary
Taylor's troops under Captain M. B. Lamar in 1846. In 1848
it was incorporated as the City of Laredo by the Texas State
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939, periodical, 1939; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101107/m1/281/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.