The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939 Page: 83
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
VOL. XLII OCTOBER, 1938 No. 2
The publication committee and the editors disclaim responsibility for views expressed
by contributors to TH QUARTERLY
LAREDO DURING THE TEXAS REPUBLIC1
Fed by the melting snows in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains,
the Rio Grande-El Rio Bravo del Norte, the Bold River of the
North of the old Spaniards-begins its winding course of two
thousand miles toward the sea, its waters crystal clear. Speeding
along toward the south and east, it gathers color and volume from
the tributary streams pouring their currents into it.
Flowing south through the mountain passes of Colorado and
New Mexico, the Rio Grande moves past the ancient crossing of
the old Spanish conquistadores at El Paso del Norte. It courses
by the straggling Indian town of Ysleta, the oldest settlement
in the State of Texas, founded in 1682 by the Indians driven
from the Pueblo region of New Mexico in the revolt of 1680. It
rushes through the crag-crowned canyons of the Big Bend country
of the Southwest. Passing the ancient town of San Juan Bautista,
founded in 1699, it skirts the moldering ruins of old Palafox,*
which was burned by the savage Indians in 1818. It then makes
a long elbow turn, in which nestles the ancient yet modern city of
Laredo, founded in 1755. Flowing on south and eastward, laden with
the silt of more than a thousand miles, the river leaves behind the
crumbling ruins of old Dolores, which in 1750 was a thriving
IThis paper was read at the meeting of the Texas State Historical Associ-
ation in Austin, Texas, on April 22, 1938.
*San Jos de Palafom, 37 miles northwest of Laredo, was founded April
27, 1810; sacked and burned by the Indians in 1818, it was never fully
rebuilt. Some of the ruins are yet visible.
tHacienda de Nuestra seiora de los Dolores, founded August 22, 1750
(Fundacion de la Colonia del Nuevo Santander, Archivo General, Mexico,
1930, Vol. II, p. 121), was situated about 25 miles southeast of Laredo and
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939, periodical, 1939; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101107/m1/97/: accessed January 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.