The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939 Page: 84
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
settlement on its north bank. Passing the ancient frontier towns
of Revilla, now Guerrero, laid out in 1750, Mier, located in 1753,
Camargo and Reynosa, both established in 1749, all originally
founded to serve as barriers against the hostile Indians on their
raids from the north, it at last merges its mighty muddy flood
with the waters of the Gulf of Mexico at the point where the
mushroom seaport of Bagdad flourished before it was destroyed
in the great storm of October 29, 1867.2
This was the southern boundary of the Republic of Texas, as
contended for by the colonists and as established by the Congress
of the Republic of Texas in 1836.3
To the north of the Rio Grande is the Nueces River, a slow-
moving, narrow stream, in many places without water in times
of protracted droughts, rising in the western part of the state,
and emptying into the Gulf of Mexico near Corpus Christi.
Mexico contended for this stream as her northern boundary. And
her claim was not without basis. During the settlement of Nuevo
Santander, of which the territory embraced within the present
Mexican state of Tamaulipas was a part, the boundary between
that province and the colony of Texas was assumed to be the
San Antonio and Medina rivers.4 A few years later the Nueces
was accepted as the boundary between the two provinces, and
was officially established as such by a royal cedula in 1805.5
Thus a strip of land some fifty to one hundred and fifty miles
in width was in dispute, the title to which was not definitely
established until the Treaty of Guadalupe in 1848. This disputed
territory was dry and barren, and supported only a few isolated
cattle ranches. Laredo, on the southern edge of this contested
territory, was the only town on the north bank of the Rio Grande,
and south of the Nueces, and naturally was claimed by both
about 200 yards from the conflux of the Arroyo Dolores and the Rio Grande.
It was abandoned during the Mexican revolution against Spain. The ruins
may still be seen.
2Bagdad, a busy Mexican seaport at the mouth of the Rio Grande, during
the Civil War, 1861-1865, was destroyed during the great storm of October
29, 1867, and never rebuilt.
3Gammel's Laws of Texas, Vol. I, pp. 1193-1194.
4Herbert E. Bolton, Texas in the Middle Eighteenth Century, p. 292.
5sI. J. Cox, "The Southwest Boundary of Texas," in Texas State Historical
Association, The Quarterly, Vol. VI, p. 91.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939, periodical, 1939; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101107/m1/98/: accessed April 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.