The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940 Page: 30
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
This roll of names differs from that engraved on the Texas
Centennial monument at Refugio, in that it omits six names:
Brady, Leslie G. H. Humphries, Jesse C.
Eadock, Henry H. Penny, George W.
Gibbs, Lewis C. Ward, John
contained on the monument roll, and adds four names
Ray, Anderson Wallace, William
Smith, Oliver Weeks, Thomas G.
not on the monument roll.
In justice to the Texas Centennial Commission and its Advisory
Committee of Texas Historians, a word of explanation is due. The
monument roll was prepared by the present compiler at the request
of, and in consultation with, the Chairman of the Advisory Com-
mittee, after much thought and study, and with due pains and care.
It was considered questionable as to whether the names of Henry
Eadock (or Edick) and John Ward belonged on the monument;
otherwise, the list as prepared was believed to be correct. The
compiler overlooked, however, the evidence of Joseph W. Andrews
of the Georgia Battalion [Lamar Papers No. 2809, Volume IV,
Pt. 2, pp. 237-40] which names Anderson Ray and Thomas G.
Weeks as two of the wounded men, left by Colonel Ward at the
old church, who afterward were killed or died of their wounds.
After the dedication of the Refugio monument, and too late to
make a change, the compiler discovered Andrews' statement; and,
also, a partial list of those killed with Colonel Fannin, in New
Orleans Commercial Bulletin for June 30, 1836, which accounts
for Lieutenant [Oliver] Smith and [Sergeant William] Wallace,
as among those killed at the mission, along with Captain A. B.
The present writer was aware, when the monument roll was
prepared, that Dr. Joseph E. Field had stated [Three Years in
Texas, Charlemont, Mass., Sept. 2, 1836], in describing Captain
King's skirmish below Refugio, March 12, 1836,
A part of his men, separated from the rest in the skirmish
by swimming the river, made their escape to Goliad;
and that a roll of the "Red Rovers," as they participated in Colonel
Fannin's battle of March 19, accounting for the names and fate
of his men, had been published by Dr. Shackelford in The North
Alabamian, at Tuscumbia, Alabama, July 16, 1836; but no copy
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940, periodical, 1940; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101111/m1/38/: accessed January 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.