The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940 Page: 67
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Parrill Expedition to the Red River
seventh of October the captives told Parrilla that the day's march
would bring them to the "Tahuayas" and "Yscanes." They said
that they could locate a camp. for the Spaniards which would be
suitable for grazing the horses and for reconnaissance. This infor-
mation was corroborated by the Apaches who were familiar with
the general nature of the country.31
About one o'clock in the afternoon, when they had travelled
six leagues, a band of sixty or seventy Indians came out to attack
the Spaniards. Quickly Parrilla formed his men into line of
battle, the horses not in use being taken to the rear along with
the prisoners. The animals were fastened head to head and a
detachment was detailed to guard them. By this time more of
the enemy had appeared and "arrogantly" attacked Parrilla's forces.
One determined charge was enough to disperse them. The Span-
iards followed them closely through the woods.32
As the pursuers emerged from the far edge of the woods they
were astonished by the sight of a fortification on the bank of a
large river. From the safety of their refuge the Indians laughed
at the Spaniards and challenged them to enter. Finding that the
fort could not easily be entered, Parrilla withdrew his troops a
short distance to reform and to consider the situation. "At a dis-
tance of a short musket shot were clearly seen the high oval-shaped
huts, which were surrounded by a fosse, and the road by which
they entered was encircled in the same manner, since it was
winding, with the entrance by the river, which flowed by at a
depth of about one and a half yards."33 Upstream from the village
were several fields which were planted in maize, pumpkins, frijoles,
and watermelons. Only a portion of the village was sur-
rounded by a palisade, in the center of which a French flag was
floating, and, upon the appearance of the Spaniards the inhab-
itants of the huts outside the fortification fled to the stockade.
Inside was a corral where the Indians kept their horses. Just
below the settlement was a ford, where a large force was stationed
to prevent the attackers from crossing. It was evident that several
tribes were represented. The Comanches were among them, their
tents being in plain view. During the afternoon re-enforcements
31lFiscal to viceroy, Feb. 6, 1759, Campafa, p. 40. Parrilla, testimonio,
Nov. 8, 1759, Campaia, pp. 7-8.
32Parrilla, testimonio, Nov. 8, 1759, Campala, pp. 7-8.
33Idem, p. 8. Translation given in Bolton's Texas, 90n.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940, periodical, 1940; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101111/m1/75/: accessed July 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.