The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940 Page: 75
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Colonization Activities of Charles William Post 75
spectacle. With every wagon loaded, six dozen mules "hit the
collar," and the outfit moved slowly northward, trailing up the
long grade of the Cap Rock. Four days later, the wagon train
drew up at the "Commissary," a temporary headquarters in the
heart of the land of promise. Alexander was jubilant. He wrote
the home office at Battle Creek: "We will soon begin to make a
showing in the wild and woolly West."7
Before the arrival of the wagon train, there was nothing on
the estate except a small boxed shanty, a windmill, and a wire lot.
Now there appeared a city of tents, their whiteness visible far
across the level plains. Hammers banged, and saws snorted.
Within five days a boxed, temporary store building was ready.
Crates were unpacked, goods arranged on shelves, canned tomatoes,
flour, lard, potatoes, horse collars, shoulder pads, nails, trace
chains, ropes, blue shirts, work shoes, coal oil, every essential thing
needed by the laborers was already there-and hundreds of other
items were yet to arrive. The carpenters built a barn large enough
to accommodate a carload of grain at a time. Then several farm
houses were constructed within a two-mile radius of the "Com-
Late in March, Post, himself, visited the embryonic colony, and
spent the first night in a hack. He gave minute instructions as
to the performance of each task, and was impatient at delays in
the establishment of his colony. Despite sandstorms, hail, and bad
roads, fifty houses were built on the plains by the following June.
The question as to the location of a county seat for the newly-
organized county of Garza, which embraced most of the Post estate,
was to be decided. The center of the county was several miles to
the east of the "Commissary." In order that his projected town
might be located within the legal distance from the center of the
county, Post chose a new site three miles east of the Cap Rock,
instead of a site near the "Commissary" on the plains as orig-
Post had a blue print made of his dream town, "Post City,"
with its streets, parks, residences, and business district. The whole
imprint of his planning was to be indelibly stamped upon every
7Alexander to Post, March 29, 1907, Post Records, Correspondence,
Vol. XIII, p. 81.
aAlexander to Post, April 7, 1907. Post Records, XIII, 39.
9Alexander to Post, July 8, 1907. Post Records, XIII, 44.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940, periodical, 1940; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101111/m1/83/: accessed August 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.