The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940 Page: 77
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Colonization Activities of Charles William Post
These building operations continued through several years. By
1914, about three hundred residences, dozens of stores, and public
buildings were completed. Early in 1913, H. C. Hawk, Post's
private secretary, summarized the growth of the town:
Post City is a most progressive town of 1,500 people, about
four years old, substantially built, with business buildings
largely of stone and cement. A good hotel, wide parked
streets, a complete waterworks system, telephones, electric
lights, and everything that goes to make for the comfort
of the people.
A 10,000-spindle cotton mill is now complete and, with its
subsidiaries, will handle cotton from the field to the finished
fabric. There are a number of industries coming along nicely,
and everything in and about the city seems prosperous.13
Freighting operations from Big Spring continued for about a
year, until the Roscoe and Northwestern Railroad reached Snyder,
which then became the shipping point for the enterprise. Roads
to Snyder were even worse than those to Big Spring, and at times
impassable. About a year later the Santa Fe extended south-
ward to Lubbock. Since the road from Lubbock led mainly over
level plains, goods were now hauled from that point. When the
Santa Fe reached the edge of the Cap Rock, fifteen miles from
Post City, a siding was established and goods were received from
the new terminus. Early in the year 1910, trains were running
into Post City. Old freighting days were over, but not until ma-
terials for an entire town and hundreds of farm houses had been
transported over unimproved dirt roads.14
The erection of farm houses was still in progress when the
railroad reached the colony. Each one hundred and sixty-acre
homestead was being fenced, and a three-acre orchard for each
home was being planted. Farm houses were built in the California
bungalow style, then new to West Texas. Each was papered,
painted, and provided with a bathroom and kitchen sink. Water
from wells on plains farms was pumped to elevated cypress tanks,
from which pipes conducted water into kitchens and horse lots.
Barns, sheds, irrigated gardens, and complete fencing made modern
each virgin farm.
At first, these improved homesteads were either rented, or
3IHawk to C. Dalberg, February 11, 1913. Post Records, III, p. 46.
14Post Records, Minutes, Double U Company, Vol. II, pp. 41-217.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940, periodical, 1940; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101111/m1/85/: accessed April 26, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.