The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940 Page: 81
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Colonization Activities of Charles William Post
machine shop, a power plant, a wood yard, a quarry, a brick and
tile plant, a cotton gin, waterworks, a sewage system, a half-million-
dollar cotton factory, and a modern sanitarium. The latter was
operated for a time by Dr. Ponton, who later became its pro-
After Alexander, from three to five managers carried out the
founder's plans for the colony. Those who were not in harmony
with Post's ideals were eventually dismissed. This weeding-out
process continued until three able managers emerged, to remain
in control for many years. These were J. F. Hartford, in charge
of farms; W. 0. Stevens, the bank and colonization; and Sam B.
Bardwell, who presided over the general office and business em-
ployees. Stevens resigned in 1918; Hartford died in 1919; but
Bardwell remains in 1939 as sole manager of the Double U Com-
The company payroll aggregated about nine thousand dollars a
month in the first decade of the colony. Post was a liberal pay-
master. His wage-scale ran as high, if not higher, than was current
in the state during those years.28
While building the town, Post was also developing his farm
lands which spread away on a radius of ten to fifteen miles from
the little metropolis. As early as 1907, Post had advertised for
farm settlers in mid-western publications. To those who replied,
he sent a booklet entitled "Making Money in Texas." But only
three such colonists actually arrived, despite hundreds of inquiries;
and these three were rejected by Alexander because "They would
not let whisky alone."29
The plan was to provide each farm settler with living quarters,
barns, sheds, waterworks, fences, and one hundred and sixty acres
of raw plains land, and to hire the occupant to break the sod at
two dollars an acre in preparation for a crop. About fifty farm-
houses with accompanying improvements were provided for the first
crop year, and about three hundred acres was broken and planted.
But this was all accomplished by Company employees and equip-
ment, and the farmhouses were rented to the farm laborers.
26Po8t Records, Minutes II, pp. 39-87.
27Post to Double U Company, June 29, 1909, Post Records, Minutes 1,
28Post Records, Payroll Registers, 1907-17.
29Alexander to Post, September 14, 1907, Post Records, Correspondence,
Vol. XIII, 33 b.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 43, July 1939 - April, 1940, periodical, 1940; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101111/m1/89/: accessed June 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.