The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 98
A Sketch Jistory of Sa# Saba Courty,
ALICE GRAY UPCHURCH
SAN SABA County, named after the San Saba River, was
created from Bexar County, February 1, 1856, in answer
to a petition of November 20, 1855, signed by about eighty
male citizens above twenty-one years of age, who requested
that Sam Linn, J. H. Brown, J. Williams, J. W. Ware, and
C. B. Campbell be appointed commissioners to organize the
county. Its population in 1857 of 364 whites and thirty-six
negroes, had grown in 1860 to 913 whites, and in 1940 to 11,012.
Located between latitudes N.30o55' and N.31025', and longitudes
W.98025' and W.9900', its highest measured elevation, in the
southwest corner, is 1,975 feet and its lowest depression, in the
southeast corner, is 975 feet. Its annual rainfall is twenty-seven
inches and its average temperature is 67.2 degrees. The center
of the county falls in Wallace Creek valley approximately five
miles west and one mile south of the town of San Saba. Sub-
triangular in shape, its area of 1,116 square miles is enclosed on
the north and east by approximately 114 miles of the Colorado
River, a straight forty-mile line on the south, and a straight
thirty-eight-mile line on the west. Its principal streams are the
Colorado and San Saba rivers and Cherokee and Wallace creeks.
The first county election, May 3, 1856, was held by Chief
Justice James S. Bourland of Burnet County. Official returns
show the election of Joab B. Harrell, chief justice; Allen Sloan,
district clerk, who declining the office, was succeeded by Jerry
W. Fleming, on August 4, 1856; George Badger Cooke, county
clerk; James T. Wood, John Calvin Montgomery, William Wear,
and John Humphrey Brown, commissioners; Matthias Harkey,
treasurer; John T. Davis, assessor and collector of taxes; John
Linn, justice of peace; and Eli Freestone, sheriff. At the dis-
trict election, August 4, 1856, Edward H. Vontress of George-
town was elected district judge, Francis Girand, district sur-
veyor, R. T. Posey, district attorney, John McNeill, Daniel Moore,
D. R. Harkey, precinct justices of peace, and Henry Taylor,
coroner. Later, on August 2, 1858, W. J. Montgomery was
elected county surveyor.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/114/ocr/: accessed May 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.