The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 99
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Documents
The first county court met at the home of William Riley
Woods, June 16, 1856, and David Matsler was named chairman
of election precinct. The contract to build a courthouse and
clerks' office to cost $850 was awarded Matthew Hubbard,
October 10, 1856, the building to be completed by April 1, 1857.
It was occupied by the court on November 16, 1857. The first
cattle brands registered in the county, May 22, 1856, were those
of Sterling A. Houston and E. M. Owen, and the first road
reviewers, appointed November 17, were John Calvin Mont-
gomery, John Robert Williams, J. Jackson, Wilson Vandyke,
and Joe Montgomery. On February 15, 1858, T. C. Hackett and
G. B. Cooke were appointed to transcribe all Bexar County
surveys and field notes located in San Saba County into perma-
nent files. On August 15, 1859, Dr. James Crawford Rogan,
Joseph S. Williams, and Martin Harvick Wadsworth were ap-
pointed to survey and lay off a burying ground. A first jail
and second courthouse, two-story structures built of native
stone, were petitioned of the legislature, January 20, 1871.
Contractors receiving pay for work on the jail, May 26, 1874,
were D. Horsfall and John McKinney.
The oldest permanent survey in the county was made for
Alfred Morris, First Class Citizen Grantee of Bastrop County,
by Deputy Surveyors William S. Wallace and Captain John L.
Lynch, August 7, 1839, with Joseph Maner and David Hutson,
chain carriers. The earliest settlement recorded as "County
Seat," June 22, 1847, was located at the mouth of Richland
Creek, on the west side. The second community was Bolt's
Settlement, recorded April 11, 1854, as being located on the
west branch of Simpson's Creek, on Martin Walker's survey
No. 32, at the present Hershey railroad stop. In May, 1855,
Sulphur Springs, located on the Michael Moos survey No. 49,
below the mouth of Cherokee Creek, was a center for business
transactions. The fourth recorded town to appear in the records
was Rochester, watered by Bonnet Springs, which was adver-
tised by J. De Cordova, August 13, 1856, for its manufacturing
and wheat growing possibilities. At the first election the county
seat was designated as Rowe's Land but was removed by
special election, July 19, to a site embracing ninety-three acres
out of Joseph Porter Brown's tract (assignee of Ozwin Wilcox)
donated by Dr. David Franklin Brown, administrator, through
Bastrop County Court auction, July, 1856, to Robert Daugherty
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/115/: accessed November 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.