The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 132
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The A9merican-German Review for April, 1946, contains an
article by Lota M. Spell, "The Early German Contribution to
Music in Texas."
Dr. R. L. Biesele, who attended the hundredth anniversary
celebrations in Fredericksburg, furnished the following account
for the "Texas Collection."
The week of May 5-12, 1946, was the occasion of two centennial celebra-
tions by the cities of Fredericksburg and New Braunfels. On Sunday morn-
ing, May 5, the citizens of Fredericksburg began the observance of their cen-
tennial with appropriate services in all of the churches. On Sunday night
the music lovers of Fredericksburg and vicinity heard an excellent program
on the theme, "Fredericksburg's Music Through One Hundred Years."
Monday, May 6, was observed as Memorial Day with services in the fore-
noon honoring the pioneer dead and in the afternoon honoring those who
gave their lives in the nation's wars. The Pioneer Memorial, a replica of
the old Vereinskirche, was the scene of these observances. Musical mem-
ories in concert music on the courthouse lawn, a program that was thor-
oughly enjoyed, closed the day's activities. Homecoming Day was set for
Tuesday, May 7, with pilgrimages to the schools and churches and reunions
of families, friends, and organizations in the morning and a welcoming
of all former residents and friends, a reviving of old traditions, and a
commemorating of pioneer customs at the courthouse park in the after-
noon. Following a historical pageant at the high school stadium came
centennial dances at ten in the evening.
May 8 was the Hundredth Anniversary Day dedicated in special tribute to
the founders and builders of Fredericksburg. Salutes were fired at six in
the morning, church bells were rung, and special band music was played.
At eleven a banquet was held in the high school auditorium in honor of
the pioneers. Short addresses in the mother tongue of the pioneers were
held, the guest address by the Honorable Martin Faust of New Braunfels
and the main address by the Honorable William Petmecky, general chair-
man of the Fredericksburg Centennial Celebration. Promptly at two o'clock
in the afternoon the historical parade moved down Fredericksburg's Main
Street, turned just below the Nimitz Hotel, and moved back up Main Street
to the courthouse square. Dr. Victor. Keidel was grand marshal of the pa-
rade, assisted by numerous marshals on horseback. About a dozen bands
participated in the parade, and mechanized troops from San Antonio added
-military color. Individuals and floats reminded the onlookers of John O.
Meusebach, the founder of Fredericksburg, Grandfather Nimitz, the Johann
Dethardt, an immigrant ship, the first schools and churches, musical,
literary, and workingmen's associations, the Easter fires, immigrant wag-
ons, and pioneer life. A small group of Comanches under Chief Baldwin
Parker marched in the parade. The parade was a great success. After
the parade a program of addresses was staged in front of the courthouse.
Addresses of welcome were made by Mayor Joe Molberg and County Judge
Henry Hirsch, and general addresses were made by Governor Coke Stev-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/148/: accessed February 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.