The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 133
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Collection 133
enson and General Jonathan M. Wainwright, while Judge A. W. Moursund
was the main speaker.
The high school stadium was the scene of the historical pageant on
Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Miss Esther Mueller, a former resident
of Fredericksburg and now on the faculty of the State College for Women
at Denton, wrote the story for the pageant, while local talent presented
the pageant under the direction of Miss Julia Estill, Miss Ella Gold, and
Mr. Lawrence Krauskopf. In the first episode, depicting Fredericksburg as
the colony, such scenes as Meusebach's selecting the town site, the surveying
of Fredericksburg, the arrival of the first settlers on May 8, 1846, Meuse-
bach's return from the Indian country, the coming of the Mormons, the
building of the Vereinskirche and of the first Catholic school, and the
building of Fort Martin Scott were presented. The second episode traced
the history of Fredericksburg from the approach of the Civil War through
the first World War. Local stories on the Civil War were depicted, and
the development of social life was portrayed in the Easter fires, the Turn-
verein, the Saengerbund, the Schuetzenbund, the county fair, and the
Casino. The third episode dealt with the organizations of the present
and with World War II, honoring the valorous dead and Fredericksburg's
native son, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. During the first two episodes,
full-size, flat-wall, painted replicas of the storehouse, the Nimitz home,
the Vereinskirche (Kafeemuehle), Fort Martin Scott, and the old Nimitz
Hotel were raised on the grounds.
On May 10, 11, and 12 the citizens of New Braunfels and Comal County
were hosts for a centennial celebration of the founding and incorporating
of New Braunfels and the organizing of Comal County. The festivities
began with a "Welcome Home" party on the plaza at six o'clock in the
afternoon of May 10. At eight o'clock cannon boomed, Centennial Chair-
man Paul W. Jahn officially opened the celebration, Mayor A. D. Nuhn
extended greetings to the visitors, a massed chorus sang "Der Tag des
Herrn" and "Die Himmel Ruehmen," and Governor Coke Stevenson made
the main address in praise of the hardy pioneers who laid the foundations
of New Braunfels and Comal County. The singing of "The Eyes of Texas"
closed this program, which was followed by a concert given by the Agri-
cultural and Mechanical College Band. At ten o'clock there was a garden
party featuring folk dancing. Reminiscent of pioneer days was a small
group of Comanche Indians under Chief Baldwin Parker, who presented
a program of dances and songs.
Saturday, May 11, marked the centennial anniversary of the legislative
act which granted a charter of incorporation to New Braunfels. The
Sophienburg Museum Garden was the scene of a program in the forenoon
sponsored by the ladies of the Sophienburg Auxiliary and honoring the
pioneers. Appropriate music was rendered, speeches were made by the
Reverend A. M. Fiedler and Colonel Julian C. Hyer, and Chief Parker and
his Comanches presented an Indian dance. At half past two in the afternoon
the annual Children's Masquerade Parade, in which about two thousand
children participated, moved through the main business section of town to
Landa Park. The pioneer theme prevailed in many of the costumes, and
year-old Jan Heitkamp, daughter of Major and Mrs. C. W. Heitkamp and
granddaughter of Centennial Chairman and Mrs. Paul W. Jahn, rode in a
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/150/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.