The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 9
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas and the Oil Industry
inspectors, enforced such rules. Texas, even then, was taking
the lead in oil and gas conservation.
Following the discovery and early development at Spindletop
came additional salt dome fields in Southeast Texas and the
construction of pipe lines and refineries in that area. Saratoga
was proved productive in the fall of 1901, Sour Lake in 1902,
Batson in 1903, and gusher production was secured at Humble
in 1905. By the end of 1903 the total storage facilities in the
Beaumont district were reported to be 19,226,000 barrels. It
was estimated that the total capital invested in the district at
the end of 1901 was $3,951,085, while at the end of 1904 it
was estimated to be $34,036,500.
Exploratory efforts were by no means confined to the south-
eastern part of the state during the five years following the
discovery of Spindletop. In most instances, however, they were
unsuccessful in the other areas of Texas and merited little
attention until 1904. In that year the industry began to notice
North Texas as a result of the production of 65,455 barrels of
oil from a depth of about three hundred feet in the Petrolia
Field of Clay County. Although a few small wells had previously
been completed there following the encountering of oil at about
150 feet in a well being bored for water on the Lochridge farm,
the actual discovery of the field is generally credited to the year
The development of the new producing area, the greatly
increased production in the coastal region, and the widened
interest in the oil industry were followed by additional legis-
lation in 1905. The new legislation provided, among other
things, that when an operator could not case off water encoun-
tered in a well being drilled for oil or gas, he must immediately
plug and abandon it.
South Texas became the fourth producing area of the state
in 1907 with the discovery and early development of the Mission
Field in Bexar County and the discovery of oil at Piedras Pintas
in Duval County. Neither area was to prove of especial sig-
nificance for many years.
During the period 1905-1910 the oil producing capacity of
the state was further enlarged by the discovery of production
at North Dayton, Goose Creek, Markham, Potters Point, and
in Brown, Coleman, Shackelford, and Wichita counties. The
transportation facilities of the state were expanded and ex-
tended by the construction of several minor pipe lines and by
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/25/: accessed March 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.