The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 10
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
the construction of eight-inch oil lines from Oklahoma to the
coast of Texas by the Texas and Gulf Pipe Line Companies.
In the meantime the development and utilization of natural
gas had been progressing rather rapidly. During the first few
years of the century small amounts of gas were consumed
for lease and domestic purposes at Corsicana, the total value
of the gas thus utilized in 1903 by seventy-eight domestic
and eight industrial consumers having been placed at $21,351.
The gas was transported and distributed through a total of
twenty-eight miles of pipe line in or adjacent to the field, and
the sales were made at a fixed price per month for a house and
on a yearly basis to an industrial consumer, the price depending
upon the amount of manufacturing done. Such practices were
largely discontinued about 1905, when the use of meters was
Indications of the future importance of the gas branch of
the industry were evident soon after the completion of four
good gas wells in the Petrolia Field and the transportation of
this gas to Henrietta and Wichita Falls for distribution and
consumption. The success of this undertaking, under the able
leadership of E. R. Brown, was responsible for the organization
of the Lone Star Gas Company in 1909 and the beginning of
the major gas transportation lines throughout and from Texas.
The extensive gas industry as it is known today may well trace
its origin to the Petrolia Field of Clay County, Texas. The
utilization of gas as a fuel for railroad locomotives did not
prove as efficient as hoped for when tried out in 1910 between
Atlanta and Bloomburg, and this practice was discontinued.
The search for new fields was steadily advancing, and tre-
mendous strides were made by the industry in the decade 1911-
1920. The first discovery of importance in this period was at
Electra in January, 1911, and the active development of the
new field was followed by extensive wildcatting and by new
pipe line construction. The Mexia gas area was opened in 1912
and rapidly developed. Additional legislation, which became
effective April 2, 1913, related to the plugging of wells and to
the waste of natural gas. The discovery of the Thrall Field in
February, 1915, directed attention to Southwest Texas and
a new type of production, that obtained from serpentine rock.
Wildcatters immediately began searching for other altered
igneous intrusives with a zeal equal to that displayed in the
search for salt domes following the discovery of Spindletop.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/26/: accessed April 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.