The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 14
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The demand for gas in states other than Texas and the
success of transportation caused more extensive pipe line con-
struction than ever before. Transmission lines of large diameter
were constructed from the Panhandle to such distant cities as
Chicago and Indianapolis, and such facilities have since been
extended and expanded.
The oil industry in Texas had assumed proportions of great
importance in the twenty-nine years following the first discovery
of Spindletop. It was represented in 1930 by thousands of
producing wells, a network of pipe lines, and adequate process-
ing and distributing facilities over the length and breadth of
the state. It had advanced in the face of such obstacles as
depressed prices during and following the period of overpro-
duction, and it was continuing to advance in competition with
other floods of oil from great discoveries in California and
Oklahoma when the discovery of the East Texas Field occurred.
The discovery of the Van Field in 1929 had indicated that
the possibilities for additional Woodbine sand production from
the eastern portion of Texas should not be disregarded. That
this was true was demonstrated most spectacularly by the com-
pletion of the Joiner well on the Bradford farm in October,
1930, the Bateman well on the Crimm farm in December, 1930,
and the Farrell well on the Lathrop farm in January, 1931.
Three wildcat wells had opened an area more than twenty
miles long within a period of slightly more than three months,
and exploration soon spread out rapidly. Consternation pre-
viously felt about overproduction from other areas was now
crystallized on steadily increasing production from one field.
The average production from the field amounted to only
about 25,000 barrels per day in February, 1931, but by the
middle of August, 1931, it was over one million barrels per day.
Posted prices dropped to below ten cents per barrel for oil.
Immediate action was necessary, and the field was shut down
under martial law on August 17, 1931. When it was opened up
again on September 6, 1931, production was curtailed to 225
barrels per well daily. This production has been steadily re-
duced by subsequent orders. The history of the East Texas
Field is one of superlatives, and its questions of proration, hot
oil, by-passes, and tender boards are all familiar enough to
need no amplification. It should be noted, however, that as a
result of the application of sound engineering principles in the
proration of this field, it is still flowing after producing
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/30/: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.