The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 362
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SIXTEEN YEARS ago this fall, in the piney woods of
Rusk County, a rusty iron finger of drill-pipe opened
a storehouse of petroleum that is still the world's greatest
producing oil field.
In October, 1930, C. M. ("Dad") Joiner's No. 3 Daisy
Bradford flowed a head of oil to the crownblock of its
hand-hewn timber derrick to introduce the most colorful
chapter in the history of Texas oil. A few months later,
the Bateman et al. No. 1 Crim made a well to extend
the field ten miles northwest, and early the next year
the Farrell et al. No. 1 Lathrop, ten miles north of the
Bateman, came in to herald the greatest oil-producing
area in the world. Thirty thousand wells punched into
the red clay hills of East Texas have since proved up
135,000 acres as productive of petroleum.
Estimated originally to be good for one billion barrels
of oil, the East Texas field has already produced more
than two and one-quarter billion. Through conservation
measures pioneered by the oil industry, enacted into law
by the Texas Legislature, and made effective by the Texas
Railroad Commission, this one field is expected to produce
nearly three billion barrels more before its last pumping
jack is silent.
Laboratory for the development of many petroleum
conservation practices, now standard in the industry, East
Texas produces today and will produce for many years
to come as a monument to their success.
TEXAS MID-CONTINENT OIL AND GAS
Research and Service Organization of Texas Oil and
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/362/: accessed June 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.