The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 331
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
George Bannerman Dealey
After he had made extensive studies of possible circulation in
the northern half of the state, Dealey was named business man-
ager of the new Dallas edition from its start on October 1, 1885.
The Dallas Morning News quickly outstripped its parent pub-
lication at Galveston both in circulation and business. Identified
with a lusty and growing young city, it promptly took on an
independent personality. Ten years after its start Dealey was
given almost full powers of direction of the Dallas News when
the management changed his title from business manager to
manager. From 1895 onward the newspaper at Dallas became
increasingly the reflection of the ideas and ideals of Dealey,
although it was not until 1906 that he became vice-president
and general manager of all properties at both Dallas and Gal-
Colonel A. H. Belo, who had been chief proprietor of the
News since 1875, died in 1901. He was succeeded as president
by his son, A. H. Belo, Jr. But in quick succession young Belo
and two other senior executives of the News, Colonel R. G. Lowe
and Thomas W. Dealey, died in 1906. The Belo family urged
Dealey to take the presidency, but he insisted that a representa-
tive of the family retain the office nominally. Colonel Belo's
widow served as president until her death in 1913, and Mrs.
Belo's brother-in-law, C. Lombardi, served until his death in
1919. Dealey then accepted the presidency of the company,
which he retained until 1940, when he became chairman of the
board and his son, E. M. (Ted) Dealey, was elected president.
Sentiment played a major part in Dealey's business as well
as his civic life. It was this quality which led to his decision
to retain the Galveston Daily News for many years, long after
it had ceased to be a commercial asset to the organization. But
in 1923 the original publication of the News was sold to W. L.
Moody, Jr., of Galveston in the belief that the best interests of
all concerned would thus be served. Corporate headquarters
were transferred to Dallas, and the Semi-Weekly Farm News
was retained until its consolidation with the Dallas Morning
News on January 1, 1941. The Texas Almanac and State In-
dustrial Guide was likewise retained by the company at Dallas.
In 1926, Dealey and associates bought the News and asso-
ciated enterprises from the heirs of Colonel Belo. This move
was made in the belief that ownership of the property should
vest directly with those active in the management. This reor-
ganization was effected only after long and careful negotiations,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/406/: accessed August 16, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.