The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947 Page: 332
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Southwestern Historical Quarterly
One of Dealey's earliest and continuing interests both as a
newspaper publisher and as a citizen was the improvement of
rural as well as urban living conditions in Texas. Under his
aegis the News conducted various campaigns from 1896 onward
for better farming and ranching. He was a tireless advocate
of flood control, soil and water conservation. But it was in the
field of city planning, notably in that for his home city of Dallas,
that he saw the most striking results realized. Largely through
his efforts, individually and in his newspaper, the original Dallas
plan drawn up by George E. Kessler was adopted in 1910. This
was the cumulative result of activities by Dealey from as early
as 1899, when he organized the Cleaner Dallas League. Subse-
quently he was a driving force in basic revisions and enlarge-
ments of the program of public improvements in Dallas, notably
in the harnessing of the Trinity River flood waters through the
heart of the city, the Ulrickson bond program of 1927, and the
master plan adopted in 1945. He was long an official of the
American Planning and Civic Association and was recognized
as the father of city planning in the Southwest.
Never a schoolman in the ordinary use of that word, Dealey
was nonetheless a potent factor for many decades in the devel-
opment of education in Texas and the Southwest. He was a
deciding personality in the establishment of Southern Methodist
University in Dallas. He was a firm believer in the educational
as well as recreational values of radio broadcasting. Beginning
in 1922 with an eight hundred-watt radio station, the News
under Dealey and his elder son, the late Walter A. Dealey,
began the development of station WFAA, which in 1930 became
the first fifty thousand-watt super power station to be operated
by a newspaper in the South. Later, joint ownership of station
KGKO added to the public service in broadcasting provided by
the newspaper organization. Three institutions of higher learn-
ing, Southern Methodist University, the University of Missouri,
and Austin College, conferred the honorary degree of doctor
of laws upon him. He was an honorary member of Phi Beta
The cause of scientific social service was consistently fur-
thered by Dealey. He was personally interested in a number
of philanthropic and charitable movements. He served as pres-
ident, from its inception in 1908, of the pioneer social agency
in Dallas, the Family Welfare Bureau. He was a director, from
its origin shortly after World War I, of the Richmond Freeman
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947, periodical, 1947; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/m1/407/: accessed January 20, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.